Sunday, February 15, 2009

Third World Relationships

Until recently, I thought relationships were all about love and understanding. Love and understanding, two words that seem to make everything else make sense. If I love you, then I understand you. If it were that simple then I think our politicians would listen to the people more. My simple mind allows me to assume that if I run for leadership over a certain post, then that means I have some level of love for the people I intend to show the way or at least understand their situation well enough to want to do whatever I can for them. Look at it this way, I treat my woman wrongly, then she will leave me or at least kick me out of the house regardless of whose name the title deed bares. Why the do I continue to live with this person who keeps on disappointing me, treating me like a stranger when I, in fact, put him where he is and made him who he is?
The average politician today is a true reflection of an adulterous, lying, greedy and self-centered man who would rather see his family starve (or burn) to death, than spend more time with them. The politician today wakes up every morning, goes to the bathroom, prepares for the day, goes to the kitchen, takes all the food he can get, prepares a hearty meal for himself, leaving almost nothing left for the family and goes off to work. The money he gets there he puts in an off shore account somewhere, yet his family lives in a palatial villa that looks beautiful from the outside but once you come inside, its occupants are dressed in tatters, emaciated and longing for anything that would make them live like the man of the house.
Another thing with this type of relationship is that the wife here has no say at all. Whatever means she has to air her views is thwarted by ridiculous laws the politician throws while at the dinner table, eating form his wife and children’s plate. Communication, an integral part of any relationship still exists in this family. The politician frequently calls his friends from work for the family meetings wrapped in silly names such as: The Family We Want or Family Fusion 2030. He allows the family members to speak their mind but does not allow himself to let the information sink in his mind. God forbid the children throw tantrums in the house; the whip made of an old gas pipe makes them produce tears that will be a grim reminder that he is the boss.
This relationship like any other has its ups and downs. Sometimes the family gets tired of the politician and asks for a divorce. At times however, the relationship may have stressed the family for many years, up to 24, leaving the wife no choice other than kicking the politician out of the house. The wife gets the next best man, the man who will give her the impression that things will be much better next time through sweet words and endless gifts. Once the wife accepts him, the family lives in a honey-moon state for a few months until reality hits them that this man, like any other politician is cut out of the same cloth. The memory of past relationships in this particular relationship is not as painful as the reality that over 70% of other families in the estate are treated much better than you. Other families in the leafy parts of the estate have better looking houses, bigger families and happier relationships than the one in picture. At least the woman drives a car almost as big as the one her man is driving. In this relationship, walking alone is a blessing. Sometimes neighbors make fun and call this family the Walking Family.
In this relationship, equality is a myth. The man and the woman’s lifestyles are so far apart that one would imagine Uncle Scrooge visiting a widow and her children. If I know anything about relationships is that they should not be miserable situations dictated by one party. Relationships are founded on love and understanding, ore-requisites for sacrifice and compromise. In this case, mister politician has no time to listen and understand his people. The sad thing is that this woman keeps on taking him back, or ends up choosing a politician that at the end of the day will prove to be the most useless man ever. I choose to pick my relationships wisely. Especially in 2012 when spouse will be hanging around wooing me with wise words and promises. There is nothing uninteresting about being single. This relationship shows me that it’s better a house run by children than a useless man.

No comments: